maven

Maven Books

Reviews about historical, literary, classic, and other fiction.  Miscellaneous book things.

Homecoming
Tales from the Underworld
Hans Fallada

Treasure Island!!! by Sara Levine

Treasure Island!!! - Sara Levine

I'm really torn over this book. On the one hand, I thought the writing was good and really evoked the main character and her emotional state and thought process throughout. But, on the other hand, the story, which felt like it had great potential, was not really enjoyable and was actually quite disturbing, especially with such an unpleasant main character.

Reading the summary on the book cover, I thought that the book's premise was not only interesting but had great potential. Unfortunately, the story strayed away from that quite a bit, not long after it became clear that the main character/narrator was not quite all there. She was not only arrogant and self-focused, but pretty much delusional, and her family and friends didn't seem to quite get that. Even when they realized something was off and tried to help her out, the approach just seemed off and the story became less enjoyable to read. Her obsession with a work of literature wasn't the problem, it was her entire mental state.The ending was somewhat shocking, though it wasn't entirely unexpected, but I was disappointed with the last few pages. It just sort of let things hang, and then that was that.

Ultimately, I don't feel like I really enjoyed reading this book, though I have to admit that I felt compelled to read it in one day, just to see what happened. I admit I have a hard time reading books with strongly unlikeable or unpleasant characters, and this book reminded me of several others I'd read and disliked for the same reasons. But I do think the author writes really well, so I'd like to read something else by her, with the hope that it might be more enjoyable.