Maven Books

Reviews about historical, literary, classic, and other fiction.  Miscellaneous book things.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Patrick Süskind , John E. Woods
It's Up to the Women
Eleanor Roosevelt
The Lost Time Accidents: A Novel
John Wray
How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, and What It Means for Your Health, the Law, and Human Nature
Lisa Feldman Barrett

The Tin Drum by Günter Grass

The Tin Drum (Vintage International) - Gunter Grass

I read at least part of this book in college -- in the original German -- but I'd forgotten just how strange and twisted of a book it is.  It's rather intense overall, especially with the style it's written in.  It's quite detailed and rather heavy at times, but it's well-written almost throughout. There were only a few parts, especially towards the end, where I didn't feel as captivated, usually when there was repetition of certain events.

As for the story itself, it's quite difficult in many ways, and quite often.  Disturbing, emotional, twisted, tragic, and lots of other "fun" stuff.  Not surprising given our narrator, who seems to be precocious and talented, but also wicked and a bit insane as well.  The other characters are all quite intriguing in their own ways, but you end up questioning how much you can trust the narrator in all of this, especially given the things he does to the others.

I think I'm glad I read (or re-read) this book, but I don't know that I will be re-reading this in future.  It's such an intense book, and I can appreciate it for what it is, but I think I've had my fill, for now at least.