maven

Maven Books

Reviews about historical, literary, classic, and other fiction.  Miscellaneous book things.

Homecoming
Tales from the Underworld
Hans Fallada

Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown

Cinnamon and Gunpowder: A Novel - Eli Brown

Well, I tried...  I tried to suspend disbelief for this book, and also to overlook some of the overly wordy nature of the writing (show, don't tell!).  All in all, it took too much effort before I decided to call it quits.

The idea behind the plot is unique, but there was so much that was highly implausible and ridiculous, that it just seemed nonsensical.  It felt like the author was trying to force modern ideas and words into the 19th century, and it didn't work.  It was also hard to follow certain details of the story, especially geographically speaking.

The main character Wedgwood was just a little too precious and whiny for me, and I really didn't care for him at all, which doesn't help when he's the narrator.  The rest of the characters seemed too clownish to be real, including the pirate Mabbot.  She was the only one I felt at least partly interested in, but she became more and more improbable as I went along.

So, I guess if you're able to suspend disbelief by quite a bit, and are ok with not being fully submerged in the time period, then maybe it'll work for you.  Otherwise, you may want to pass on this fantasy take on historical fiction.