Maven Books

Reviews about historical, literary, classic, and other fiction.  Miscellaneous book things.

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
Patrick Süskind , John E. Woods
It's Up to the Women
Eleanor Roosevelt
The Lost Time Accidents: A Novel
John Wray
How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, and What It Means for Your Health, the Law, and Human Nature
Lisa Feldman Barrett

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel: A Novel (Random House Movie Tie-In Books) - Deborah Moggach

I decided to read this book after hearing of the movie, which looked at least somewhat interesting. The premise at least seemed interesting, and at first I was interested in the story and the characters. Unfortunately, my interest wanted a bit after the story kept switching to the perspective of yet another character, and some of the storylines just weren't that interesting. I didn't feel like the story really built up to a high point, it just sort of rambled, then took a step back and rambled on some more. I was disappointed and ended up skimming through the end, and it didn't really make it any better. I can only hope the movie has been reworked quite a bit and has been made more interesting than the book.