maven

Maven Books

Reviews about historical, literary, classic, and other fiction.  Miscellaneous book things.

Golden Hill: A Novel of Old New York
Tales from the Underworld
Hans Fallada

Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger by Nigel Slater

Toast: The Story of a Boy's Hunger - Nigel Slater

I'd read about this book on someone's blog, and from their description of it, thought that it would be an interesting read. I'm sorry to say that I was greatly disappointed, and couldn't even get more than 30 pages into it before I just had to stop.The book is made up of random and rather repetitive anecdotes about this food or that, tying into some event from the author's life. Skimming through the book, it seemed like most focused on his childhood, with the continuous theme of how awful a cook his mother was. After the first few pieces like this, I just wanted to say "ok, I get it already, she was horrible at cooking!"Maybe I came to this book with too much expectation, having read all the glowing reviews about it. Unfortunately, I just couldn't go on reading this book. It was such a drag, and so down about everything that I found it hard to find interest in any part of the stories, especially the food themes. The stories all became so repetitive, without any real cohesiveness to them all.