maven

Maven Books

Reviews about historical, literary, classic, and other fiction.  Miscellaneous book things.

Homecoming
Tales from the Underworld
Hans Fallada

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Microserfs - Douglas Coupland

The basis of the book was rather interesting and being a geek working in the Silicon Valley area, I especially felt I might be able to relate at least some to the content. Unfortunately, the book ended up being extremely fluffy and had various inconsistencies throughout, including character details and language issues that are usually taken care of by a proofreader before a book is published.

The book also flowed along at a decent pace for the first three-fourths of it, but then included a sudden 8-month jump in the storyline that left me hanging. After this jump in the timeline, various details were introduced without any back-up or reason for their inclusion. It seemed as if the author got to this point and then decided he was writing too much, so as a quick solution to end the book within the next 20 pages, he threw in the time jump.

Overall, if you want a fluffy book about geek life and that you can finish quickly, this is the book for you. Just don't expect any quality writing if you pick it up.